July 20, 2018

Historic Preservation Group Honors Hospital

Historic Preservation

MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital in Leonardtown has been recognized for its Historic Preservation efforts. The hospital’s “Reflections,” an exhibit of historical artifacts that are related to the hospital, has been honored by the St. Mary’s County Historic Preservation Commission for its work to keep and highlight the 106-year history of the nonprofit medical facility.

Read More

SlackWater: Changes at Cedar Point

SlackWater

The changes at Cedar Point at the onset of World War II transformed St. Mary’s County from an isolated farming community to a newly shaped culture. In 1940, the population of St. Mary’s rested at 14,626, a figure that had remained relatively constant since the first census in 1790. But by 1950, that figure jumped to 29,111.

Read More

Reverse Mortgages Good Fit for Baby Boomers

reverse mortgages

Reverse Mortgages are proving an excellent fit for Baby Boomers, including those entering retirement still holding a traditional mortgage on their homes. Even those Boomers plan to retire in their homes and renovate those homes if their health and comfort requires.

Read More

ASEC Earns TPP Member of Year Award

ASEC Earns TPP Member of Year Award

Aviation Systems Engineering Company was honored for its outstanding leadership, community support, and commitment to the economic growth and development of Southern Maryland on May 23 when it was named 2017 Member of the Year by The Patuxent Partnership.

Read More

Almaraz Is Regional Golden Gloves Champ

Phyllis Almaraz

Knowledge Boxing Center’s Phyllis Almaraz became a 2018 Golden Gloves Regional Champion in the 112-pound novice division in April.

Read More

Pax & Forrest Center Plant Rotary Trees

A community effort involving NAS Pax River, the Forrest Center’s natural resources students, and Lexington Park Rotary added 20 new cherry trees to the Lexington Park ArtsPark, home of the annual Cherry Blossom Festival.

Read More

Torpedoes Remembered in Piney Point: Message From the Captain

torpedoes

It wasn’t only Cedar Point, Jarboesville, and the Patuxent River that were changed by the arrival of the US Navy. Piney Point, St. George Island, and the waterways from whence originates Message From the Captain, were where the Navy tested its torpedoes during World War II.

Read More

Innovation in Naval Aviation Needed Now

innovation in naval aviation

Naval aviation leaders at last month’s Pax Partnership and ANA briefing describe an immediate and imperative need for innovation in Navy aviation research, engineering, development, and test.

Read More

SlackWater: Cedar Point Erased to Make Way for Base

Cedar Point

In the late 1930s and early ’40s, rumors had circulated that the military was interested in the Cedar Point peninsula in St. Mary’s County. But days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941, government officials and surveyors began the process of condemning the land. The patchwork of farms and settlements would soon be smoothed over to make way for the Navy.

Read More

TPP, SMCM & Indian Head Form Educational Partnership

The Patuxent Partnership, Naval Surface Warfare Center Indian Head, and St. Mary’s College of Maryland form an STEM educational partnership to advance scientific research and foster academic.

Read More