May 17, 2022

Entwined Histories of Lex Park & Lady Lex

Lexington Park began as a single housing project, named for the Lexington, the Navy’s first really big aircraft carrier. The ship went down in 1942, before the housing project was completed, and in 2018 was found two miles deep on the floor of the Pacific.

The Taking of Pearson: 1942


In 1942, the US government, by its right of eminent domain, confiscated a large area of the Eighth District of St. Mary’s County, MD, to be used by the US Navy as a test facility for aircraft. The government bought 6,412 acres for $712,287 consisting of 113 land tracts and home to 230 families. Somewhere within that 6,412 acres was Pearson — but where exactly?

The Rise of Lexington Park

Many residents in the north of St. Mary’s County assumed Pax River was a temporary, war-time arrangement, but Jack Daugherty, a Marine pilot stationed at the Pax at the end of the war, and other ex-Navy personnel thought otherwise, and decided to stay.

Naval Aviation in Wartime Pax River

A lot more than naval aviation was going on around Southern Maryland during World War II. Bob Tourville of the Pax River Naval Air Museum has photos and footage to prove it — flying boats, drones from the 1940s, and blimps retrieving torpedoes in the Potomac River.

Terrell Wins Scholarship Toward Tuskegee U


Nazir S. Terrell wins a $1,000 scholarship from the Southern Mary land chapter of AFCEA. Mr. Terrell plans to attend Tuskegee University.

Pax’s Cold War Warriors Remembered

Pax Cold War Warriors

St. Mary’s County Historical Society and the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum bring “Pax River’s Forgotten Cold War Warriors” to video to inaugurate the society’s Historically Speaking series.

Early Women of Architecture Visit Lexington Park

Women of Architecture

St Mary’s County Historical Society and the Lexington Park Lilbrary are hosting the traveling exhibit, Early Women of Architecture in Maryland through March 1; Exhibit curator Jillian Storms to speak March 1.

Little League Launched in Lex Park

“Baseball has long been a staple of entertainment and recreation in St. Mary’s County,” finds Historical Society writer Pat Woodburn, but to get the sport into the hands of youth took the US Navy and Lexington Park Lions.

Nonprofit Institute Conference Set Feb. 22

Nonprofit Institute

With a theme of fostering relationships, College of Southern Maryland’s Nonprofit Institute is planning its eighth annual conference for 8 am to 1:30 pm Feb. 22, 2018, at the La Plata Campus in Center for Business and Industry.

Fleming Retires as CSM Prince Fred Dean

Fleming retires

As Dr. Richard Fleming retires as vice president and dean of the Prince Frederick Campus of the College of Southern Maryland, Barbara Ives is serving in the position in the interim. Dr. Fleming has served nearly nine years at the campus, and his retirement was effective in December.