July 14, 2024

The Taking of Pearson: 1942

Pearson

In 1942, the US government, by its right of eminent domain, confiscated a large area of the Eighth District of St. Mary’s County, MD, to be used by the US Navy as a test facility for aircraft. The government bought 6,412 acres for $712,287 consisting of 113 land tracts and home to 230 families. Somewhere within that 6,412 acres was Pearson — but where exactly?