January 17, 2022

Art & Lifestyle:

Live Boxing Returns to So. Maryland -

Friday, January 14, 2022

Forrest Center to Host Tech Expo Jan. 20 -

Monday, January 10, 2022

Artists Sought to Paint Benches at Art Park -

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Find Out What Your Treasures Are Worth -

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

More IRS Notices Going Out

Posted for Burroughs, Moreland & Mudd, CPA

With the IRS recent computer efforts to match income reported on 1099s to amounts shown on individual tax returns, the IRS is sending out more notices these days identifying potential discrepancies, says Matt Mudd, CPA with Burroughs, Moreland & Mudd, CPA, PA in Charlotte Hall, Maryland.

Don’t ignore the notice, he says. It’s important you respond promptly. You can respond to most IRS notices quickly and easily.  If you need assistance, Burroughs Moreland & Mudd CPA PA are available to help. Their offices are located at 29948 Three Notch Road, UNIT 7, Charlotte Hall, Maryland 20622.

Read it carefully and follow the instructions about what you need to do. You will need your tax return.

If the notice indicates that the IRS corrected your tax return, compare your tax return to the information provided in the notice. If you agree, you don’t need to reply unless a payment is due.

If you don’t agree, write a letter to the IRS. In the letter you write explain why you don’t agree. Include in your letter documents and other information you want the IRS to consider. In your notice there is a bottom tear-off portion. Tear off that portion and include it in your letter as well. The address shown in the lower left of the notice is where you should mail your reply to the IRS. Allow at least 30 days for a response from the IRS.

Writing is the recommended method for communicating with the IRS. Most notices can be handled without calling or visiting the IRS offices. There is a phone number in the upper right corner of the notice if you do need to call with questions. Make sure you have a copy of your tax return and the notice with you when you call.

Keep copies of any notices you get from the IRS.

Don’t fall for phone or phishing email scams that use the IRS as a lure. The IRS first contacts people about unpaid taxes by mail – not by phone. The IRS does not contact taxpayers by email, text or social media about their tax return or tax account.

For more on this topic visit IRS.gov. Click on ‘Responding to a Notice’ at the bottom left of the home page. Also see Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process. You can get it on IRS.gov or call 800- TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) to get it by mail.


Leave A Comment